The Applied Element Method (AEM) based solver in Extreme Loading® for Structures is a derivative of the Finite Element Method (FEM) and the Discrete Element Method (DEM). AEM is capable of performing both linear and nonlinear, static or dynamic analysis that follows the behavior of structures through separation, collision, and collapse.
AEM Solver Automatically Calculates:
- Yielding of Reinforcement: automatically calculates material strain from elastic to plastic deformation.
- Plastic Hinge Formation: automatically places plastic hinges.
- Buckling and Post-buckling: automatically calculates elastic and plastic bending under compressive loads.
- Crack Propagation: automatically calculates the location and propagation of cracks.
- Membrane Action & P-Delta Effect(P-Δ): automatically calculates the dynamic force and displacement caused by Membrane Action and the P-Delta Effect.
- Separation of Elements: automatically separates elements based on nonlinear material properties.
- Collision and Collapse: automatically calculates the collision and collapse of separated elements.